The exam is now offered globally, wherever Prometric has a facility.
FEES: The testing fee is $101 for each part of the examination = $303 for all three parts
(There is a $35 fee to reschedule 5-29 days before exam. Full price if 5 days before exam. No cost if 30 days or more before the exam)
Prometric Phone Numbers:
To schedule, reschedule, cancel and confirm appointments or for general testing information – call 800-306-3926
For any problems encountered during your experience with Prometric – 800-853-6769
What does the exam cover?
Click the following links to see what is covered in each part of the Exam:
Enrolled Agent Examination Topics – Part 1 Individuals (100 items)
Enrolled Agent Examination Topics – Part 2 Businesses (100 items)
Enrolled Agent Examination Topics – Part 3 Representation, Practices and Procedures
There are no pre-requisites to become an Enrolled Agent:
– You do not need any advanced college courses or training.
– There is no minimum education.
– There is no citizenship requirement.
However, you must be at least age 18.
AND YOU MUST PASS ALL THREE SPECIAL ENROLLMENT EXAMINATIONS within a 24-month period.
For the full IRS and Prometric Bulletin about registration and exam information, please scroll to the bottom of this page.
1. You can print out the IRS Form W-7P and send it in
2. You can File your W-7P online using IRS’s e-services for tax professionals.
3. To get a PTIN, you will have to have a filed your own tax returns up to date.
4. Students, to get a PTIN, without a history of previously filing your own tax returns, your application will need to be processed by hand. Get in touch with TaxMama for assistance.
5. To register for e-services you will need to have your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) from your current or prior year Form 1040 tax return as originally filed. You will be required to provide it along with your Name, SSN, and Date of Birth when registering.
Now that you have your PTIN, you can register at the Prometrics Site.
That’s just to get you into their system. Once you’ve registered, then you may schedule your classes.
Schedule the first class you want to take a few days after you think you’ll be ready to take the first exam. Don’t schedule the second or third until you’ve taken ONE exam, so you see how the whole thing works for you.
Note: When you sit for the exam, you will get your results IMMEDIATELY upon completion. No waiting. No mystery.
Once you’ve got the hang of it, schedule the next two exams based on your planned study schedule.
Just for fun – try out a demo of the Prometric Exam experience. It will make you feel better about the upcoming experience.
You’ll be able to take each exam FOUR times during the May through February testing window.