FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Will I pass if I don’t know anything about tax and have no experience?
Will I pass if I have lots of tax experience but no education?
When can I take the EA exams?
Can I get Continuing Education credit for the Annual Filing Season Program (AFSP)?
Can I easily find study buddies when I join TAXMAMA’S® course?
Which software is included in TAXMAMA’S® courses?
Do I need additional equipment to attend class?
Not necessarily. (Sorry) This exam is meant to be for people who already have experience and education when it comes to taxation. TaxMama’s® classes do a great job of giving you sound fundamentals in tax law, tax preparation and client management. It’s like a 3-year college education in 6 months. For some people, that’s enough of a solid basis and they pass the exams.
Also, it is true, that many people, who have no experience or a tax education, have passed the EA Exam just by taking this class.
Yes. They worked their buns off and studied intensely for three to six whole months!
We can’t promise that you will pass the first time. But you’ll get one heck of an education – and you’ll learn how to be a great tax professional! (see TaxMama’s® Guarantee)
You are allowed to take each exam 4 times during the exam testing year. Most people pass the first time. But if you don’t, but you DO study, you can take the exam again (for another fee) – and you will pass during this testing window.
The testing window runs from May 1st and closes at the end of the following February.
Maybe. There is no insurance. Ever. You know how to do tax returns, probably correctly. But you’ve been using tax software and haven’t had to fill in a form by hand for years. You’ve relied on the software to flow the numbers from one form to the other. Do you even know how to compute alternative minimum taxes (AMT) or Passive Losses on your own? Do you know what a Sec. 1245 asset is? Can you define ‘basis’?
You may have experience, but chances are, you don’t know the fundamentals, or the code sections – especially related to business entity taxes (partnerships, corporations, estates, trusts…). You’re going to have to learn a great deal, especially if you’ve never had formal accounting or formal bookkeeping training.
But, yes, you DO have a great shot at passing. Study. Study with a buddy. Do the homework. Run the quizzes. Use the hypnosis tools. Trust your first instincts… Do all that? And yes, I guarantee that you’ll pass. Practically everyone who follows TAXMAMA’S® instructions and does all the work – passes. They worked their buns off and studied intensely for three – six whole months!
- The examination is offered through a company called Prometric. The testing window starts on May 1st and closes at the end of the following February, each year. So, you have 10 months to take the exam each year.
- You can take each exam up to 4 times during the testing window, in case you don’t pass the first time. Yes, there is a separate fee each time.
- Depending on your location, the exam may be offered 6 or 7 days a week.
- You might not find a testing site near you. You may have to drive over 100 miles to sit for the exam. So be very careful. Before leaving on your journey, call the exam site and make sure they will be able to give you the exam. (There have been last-minute cancellations quite frequently in the last 3 years – especially when staff gets COVID19.)
- What if you don’t have time to pass all three exams this year? Two things to know:
- The IRS has granted you 3 years (instead of 2) to pass all three exams, because of all the COVID19 delays and closures
- You can come back to TaxMama®and attend classes for free, unless you unsubscribed from the class emails.
- YES. ALL students signed up for all three parts (Premium or On-Demand), will get all the15 hours needed for the Education Credit towards the AFSP Certificate of Completion (reduced requirements) . You will get at least 2 hours of Ethics, and 3 hours of Federal Tax Updates – along with more than 10 hours of federal tax courses.
- This depends on you – and the people who are studying at the same time as you. We provide you with an exclusive TaxMama® Facebook group where you can register and connect with other students and make study arrangements.. We also provide a friendly environment during the live classes, where you can get to know each other.
- You may also find that you will meet people with specific specialties that your clients need – or that need your special skills.
- You might even be hiring each other to consult or work with clients together.
- This is an excellent opportunity to study with, and get to know, other tax professionals around the country – and in some other countries.
- Lambers EA Review Test Preparation online access is included in each course – you have access until you pass
- Fast Forward EA Online Course access is included in the full PREMIUM course only (It is not included when you sign up for single parts) course – you have access until you pass
- The TaxBook WebLibrary online access is included the full PREMIUM course only (It is not included when you sign up for single parts) course – you have access until December of the following year
- Zoom – Live classes will take place in Zoom, which you can download as application to your computer, tablet or smartphone, or watch in your browser without having to download.
- For a complete materials list – click here
- YES. You will need a good noise cancelling headset with microphone. You don’t need anything fancy – this device (under $25) tends to work perfectly for our class. If the headset we recommend is not available – scroll down on the Amazon.com page and look for other options.
- Those of you who don’t have a specific audio card in your computer with a place to plug in the devices, consider getting devices with a USB plug. That way, even if you only have one USB port, you can use a USB hub with 4-7 sockets. They can be relatively cheap – or expensive – up to you. Usually, they are under $26.00.
Secret bonus Resource
The EA Exam consists of 3 parts.
2023 Class dates are:
Orientation: May 2
4:05 pm - 6:30 pm
Part 1 May 4 - June 10
Part 2 May 30 - August 5
Part 3 August 29 - October 21
TaxMama® Course Schedule and CE Tracker-2023-2024_Student-Class-Tracker
All classes meet at 4 - 6 pm on Tues/Thurs
and 8 am - noon Saturdays - Pacific Time